Recipe by UK Thermomix
A sweet yeast bread especially for Easter which is delicious warm, cool or toasted. The Finns eat it with meats or cheeses or just buttered. Makes 1 large loaf.
• 110 g sugar
• 1 tsp cardamom seeds
• 1 lemon, thinly peeled strips of zest only
• 1 large orange, thinly peeled strips of zest only
• 460 g strong white flour, divided 140 g and 320 g
• 180 g evaporated milk
• 60g water
• 40 g fresh yeast or 3 tsp (= 2 sachets) instant yeast
• 130g rye flour
• 3 egg yolks
• 110g very soft butter
• ¾ tsp salt
• 50g milk
• 80g sultanas or raisins
• 50g slivered or flaked almonds
1. Grind sugar, cardamom seeds and citrus peelings 20 seconds / Speed 10. Pour out into a dish and set aside for later.
2. Mix the 140g strong white flour, evaporated milk, water and yeast 20 seconds/37°C/Speed 4 until smooth. Set TM bowl aside for the mix to rise in a warm place untildoubled, about ½ to 1 hour.
3. Add cardamom sugar mixtureand remaining ingredients to risen mixture in TM bowl. Mix 30seconds / Speed 3.
4. Knead 3 minutes on Interval Setting.
Turn into a greased bowl, tum dough greased side up, cover thebowl and leave to rise until doubledin size. This is a heavy mixture because of the fruit and nuts, so it will take longer to rise than most breads.
5. Punch down, shape into a smooth ball, and place into a large greased straight-sided enamel pail or ovenproof metal pot or cake tin.
Leave to rise until doubled or it comes to the top, whichever is first.
Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour at 180°C without fan
6. Brush with melted butter as soon as you take it out of the oven. Cool in the pail 20 minutes before turning out to finish cooling on a rack.