Gogetters presentation from Anne Stanley VIC Consultant
Biz’har or Arabic Masala is used to flavour many Middle Eastern dishes. Where possible use whole spices. Roast them as described below and then powder them yourself in your Thermomix bowl.
• ½ tspn powdered turmeric
• 3 tspns powdered paprika
• 2 tspns powdered black peppercorns
• 4 tspns powdered cumin seeds
• 1 tspn grated nutmeg
• 1 ½ tspns powdered coriander seeds
• 1-2 tspns powdered cardamom pods
• 1 tspn powdered cinnamon bark
• 1 powdered clove
• 1 tspn dried powdered red Kashmiri chilli – gives it a greater kick
• 1-2 tspns powdered fennel seeds – use this mixture for flavouring fish dishes
• Add any whole spices to the TM bowl.
• Chop for 5 seconds on Speed 7 to coarsely grate the whole spices
• Add remainder of powdered ingredients
• Roast for 10 minutes at 100 degs on Speed 1
• Turn out onto baking paper and allow to cool for approximately 3-5 mins
• When cool, return to the TM bowl and grind for 20 seconds on Speed 10.
• Store the mixture in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 months
• The mixture prepared above is best used to flavour lamb, chicken or vegetable dishes
Recipe contributed by
Anne Stanley – Thermomix Consultant – Vic
“A Taste of Arabia” by Jessie Kirkness Parker