UK Thermomix Website
This fruited bread is an Italian Christmas speciality. Making it yourself is very easy with your Thermomix and will cost you a fraction of the price of a bought panettone, and it will taste fresh and delicious. Lovely as a gift. Leftovers make a wonderful bread and butter pudding. Makes about a 1 kg loaf.
50 g granulated sugar
thinly peel skin of 1 organic lemon
400 g strong white bread flour, divided 50 g and 350 g
1½ tsp instant yeast or 15 g fresh yeast
1 tsp salt
100 g butter, diced in 1 cm pieces
250 g milk
3 egg yolks from large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
100 g diced candied peel
75 g raisins or sultanas
icing sugar to dust
1. Weigh sugar and the 50 g flour into the TM bowl and add the lemon peelings. Zest the peel by grinding 30 seconds/Speed 10.
2. Add remaining flour and all other ingredients except icing sugar. Mix 30 seconds/37°C/ Speed 3.
3. Knead 1½ minutes/Dough Setting. Either leave to rise in TM bowl or in a buttered bowl until doubled in size.
4. Punch down and shape into a round. Place in a lined, 15 cm round, buttered, 10 cm deep cake tin. Leave to rise until it reaches 1 cm above the top of the tin. Bake 35 to 40 minutes at 180°C
5. Cool in the tin then turn out onto a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve.