From the UK Thermomix Website
Usually when you make piccalilli, you have to spend ages chopping the vegetables by hand then cooking and stirring the sauce. Thermomix does the chopping for you in seconds and then stirs and cooks the sauce for you. Once made, remember to leave it at least 2 weeks before you start eating it.
1.2 kg mixed vegetables (e.g. carrots, cauliflower, shallot, turnip, baby corn, parsnip & pickling cucumber) = 1.200 on the TM weight display
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp turmeric powder
50 g mustard powder or 50 g mustard seeds
½ tsp ground white pepper or 1 tsp peppercorns
2 tsp ground ginger
50 g plain flour
¼ tsp ground nutmeg or ¼ of a whole nutmeg
75 g cider vinegar
250 g malt vinegar
1. The vegetables should be chopped individually as follows and you can use any other crunchy garden vegetables of your choice if you don’t have all of the ones below. Place chopped vegetables in a large bowl and mix with the salt. Cover and leave overnight. The salt will draw out any excess liquid, increasing the crunch and intensifying the flavors.
o carrots, peeled and cut in 3 cm chunks – 5 seconds/Speed 4
o cauliflower, cut in 3 cm chunks – 5 seconds/Speed 4
o shallots, peeled and halved or quartered – 5 seconds/Speed 4½
o turnips, peeled and cut in 3 cm chunks – 5 seconds/Speed 4
o parsnips, peeled and cut in 3 cm chunks – 5 seconds/Speed 4
o pickling cucumbers, cut in 3 cm chunks – 5 seconds/Speed 2
o English cucumbers, cut in 3 cm chunks – 5 seconds/Speed 2
2. Put the turmeric, mustard, white pepper, ginger, flour and nutmeg in the clean and dry TM bowl and mix for 20 seconds/Speed 10. This will grind the whole spices (if using) and refresh all the ground spices.
3. Add the vinegars and mix 20 seconds/Speed 4. You should have a smooth paste.
4. Heat the mixture for 8 minutes/90°C/Speed 3½.
5. Drain the liquid off the vegetables, do not rinse. Add the vegetables to TM bowl and mix 5 minutes/90°C/Speed 2/Reverse Blade Direction. If you would like a runnier sauce, stir in boiling water from the kettle 1 Tbsp at a time. Store the piccalilli in sterilized jars with vinegar-proof lids. Leave for two weeks before eating. It will keep for 6 months and improve with age. Once opened, refrigerate and eat within 6 weeks.