From the Fast and Easy Indian Cookbook
20g fresh coriander
2 fat garlic cloves, peeled
500g waxy whole new potatoes, cut into 4cm pieces
200g chopped tomatoes, tinned or fresh
1 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt
40g olive oil
2 small dried red chillies, whole
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Note: Speed Spoon = Speed Soft
1. Mince the coriander by dropping it through the hole in the TM lid onto the running blades at Speed 8. Scrape out with the spatula and set aside in two equal portions.
2. Mince the garlic dropping it through the hole in the TM lid onto the running blades at Speed 8. Scrape out with the spatula and set aside with one of the portions of minced coriander.
3. Weigh the water into the TM bowl. Insert the internal steaming basket and weigh the potatoes into it. Steam new potatoes 12 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon. (Tip: If using old potatoes, only steam them 8 minutes). The potatoes should be slightly undercooked at this point. While the potatoes are steaming, prepare the tomatoes and add the spices, salt and the reserved minced garlic and coriander portion. Discard the water.
4. If you have used new potatoes and you want to remove the skins, hold each steamed potato in a paper towel and use another paper towel to rub off the skins. Dice potatoes into 2cm cubes.
5. Heat the oil 2 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon. Drop the chillies carefully onto the hot oil through the hole in the TM lid and cook 5 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon.
6. Add the tomatoes and the spice mixture. Cook 5 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon.
7. Add diced steamed potatoes. For new potatoes cook 10 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon/Reverse Blade Direction. For old potatoes, cook 7 minutes.
8. Check that the potatoes are cooked – they should still be a little firm. If necessary add 30g water and cook a further 5 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed Spoon/ Reverse Blade Direction. Repeat if necessary (some new potatoes are very dense and take longer to cook). Stir in the lemon juice and the reserved minced coriander. Serve.