Adapted from http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/banana-date-breakfast-cookiesbiscuits/ by Laura Kempt SA Consultant
8 dates (Medjool) pitted 150g buckwheat flour
1 banana 80g tapioca flour
100g raw sugar 50 quinoa flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla ½ tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger pinch salt
100g butter, cubed 50g dessicated coconut
1 egg 50g sweet rice flour (if necessary)
· Place the banana, dates, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and ginger into the TM bowl.
· Process for 30 seconds on speed 8 to achieve a thick slurry.
· Add the butter and egg and mix for 30 seconds on speed 6.
· Add all dry ingredients and mix together for 20 seconds on speed 6 or until
combined. If the dough is sticky, add sweet rice flour by the tablespoon to create a
cookie dough that is somewhat wet but NOT sticky.
· Use the spatula to scrape out dough. Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 logs
and wrap in plastic wrap or baking paper. Refrigerate for one hour.
· Preheat oven to 180ºC
· Cut logs into ½ cm slices and lay flat on a lined baking tray.
· Bake for 8-10 minutes or until semi-golden. Allow to cool on the baking tray for 2-3
minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
· Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks or freeze individually on a
tray first, then transfer to a ziplock bag.
· Any fruit can be used as the flavour base for these biscuits – try the classic apple
and sultana (adding the sultana last with the flours).
· The logs can be wrapped a second time in a layer of aluminium foil and kept in
the freezer. This way you can have freshly baked biscuits as you need them by
thawing the log for a couple of minutes on your counter top ( just so you can get
the blade of a sharp knife easily through the log) and then popping the slices in